Saturday, September 20, 2008

When I faced the interview for one of companies which came to our college ( I don’t want to mention the name of the IT company since I would be giving publicity for that company free of cost in my webpage :-) ) I was repeatedly asked one question by the psycho interviewer (say X). and the question was “why you are changing your field from Mech to IT?”

I tried giving him lots of polite answers though I kept on cursing him within myself since it was none of his business to know about my decisions. But that psycho seemed to be really very obsessed with it. He was not at all satisfied with any answers I gave. Absolute mental torture it was. I would have happily walked out if had let me go. But no, he kept on asking me to give a solid reason.

So friends, all of you who face any kind of interviews, please answer in such a way as to give an impression to the interviewers that you never care whether u get the job or not. Answer in such a way that the job is not the end of road for u, this is not the sole earner of Roti kapda aur makaan for you (though it might be in most of the situations).

What I could’ve told is that, I might be changing the field, but I still will be an engineer only by education. I was fascinated by the automobiles, machines etc stuff and wanted to know the funda behind them and so went and took this field of engg though in my mind I wanted to be a s/w engineer only when I start my career. If u r interested in studying, then age is really not a barrier at all. My relatives who are there in the S/w field always used to say that no tech/language being used in the industry is tuff or hard nut kind of thing which u cant crack. Spend some time strictly on reading abt that tech for an hour an day and u will master it. Moreover most of the stuffs what we read in CS branch wont be required to be applied to work there hence a CS student wont get Head start as we might feel. So I went ahead with my desire to crack two birds at a time and took Mech Brach and kept my target to get into S/w field after my course.

I don’t know whether the above answer sounds too rude or anything. But if it sounds rude also, don’t care. The above might not have been ur actual aim. But the above answer was just an example to tell how to lie the answers as if it was the real answer. Confidence is the key. As we all know( we means those who have 1+ years of exp, since I belong to that category now), confidence is what matters most. Because in this industry u wont know what the situation will be next day in your work. There would be no work for few days in stretch and suddenly some problem comes up in your way when you least expect it. And you should be ready to face it and overcome it. What is required is a dish called “CONFIDENCE” with essential ingredients such as patience, problem solving skills, calmness in mind and not any knowledge of FAFL, compiler design, Networks (Subjects of CS).

The same confidence counts here in Interview also. If you let them create dominance on you by giving you an impression that u r not answering up to the mark, it is pure indication of lack of confidence. Be natural. If he says “no this is not right I guess”, feel free to reply back as “and I think this is absolutely right since I’ve been living with myself i.e my body, my soul, and brain from past 23 years”. Ya it is true you wont get so much of guts to tell it in front of him directly. So better practice such answers in front of mirror so many times that u feel confident.

Remember :- “ IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, NOBODY ELSE WILL”

I will come back to this topic as and when I feel like adding my thoughts on it.

No comments: