Wednesday, August 4, 2010

=Not(BAU Monday)

Prerequisite before reading:
For this post, if you are not a software engineer you need to go thru the following jargons and concepts being used -
BAU - Business As usual - used to refer to the the things which has not changed.
Shuttle - Company bus.
Bang1 - Code name of my office branch situated in cunningham road.
Meaning of the title - i guess you will make it out. It tells that this story of my experience on monday was not BAU ;)


The night of Sunday 21st was rocking since it was the bday party of my friend. We enjoyed a lot and naturally tired when we reached home.

Next day being Monday, I had to get up early. Surprisingly, I got up before my annoying alarm could make terrible noise and invite trouble from my elder bro. it was very pleasant to see that the hot water was ready for me to take bath. Not every day you will get up to see that everything roll out so smoothly, hot water-pressed clothes-special breakfast-hot tea. Everything went so smooth that when I stepped out of home I realized that I have good 10 mins to walk to my bus stop. That means I need not run or make a last minute - “I’m there. Please stop the shuttle” call to my friend.

As I reached the stop walking elegantly, there was a pleasant surprise waiting for me. We had got a new shuttle. Instead of usual bone-breaking-age-old Swaraj Mazda cab, we had a brand new AC mini bus. I couldn’t believe myself. I read and re read the route # displayed on the shuttle windscreen. It read B1-16. Yes that is ours I said to myself and fellow colleagues. The bus stopped in front of us. The driver gave full 40watt smile to me to say as if he purchased this vehicle for me. The automatic door opened smoothly allowing us to enter and take seat inside. The ride was so pleasant that within minutes we were in front of Bang1 gate. I was still adjusting the AC ventilator above my head and had to rush down when my friends started laughing.

I was in full Feel-good mood today as I entered the office campus and eventually into the bay. A few Security guards friends of mine were also very happy as they had got brand new uniforms which made them look like Air force soldiers. I exchanged smile with them while going to the bay. Before I could swipe my Access card, I realized that I had still my iPod earphones plugged to my ears!! I had forgotten to deposit it in reception. Before I could rush back to reception I observed something strange near the door. As I was wondering what it was, I noticed that all the warning boards near the door have disappeared!!! I happily moved inside after the guard assured me that the rules are changed. I could hardly believe myself.

There were more surprises in store for me as I entered the bay. I was telling myself that all the surprises will sometimes happen on one single day. Inside the bay I could see that not a single person was in formals. Jeans, T shirts, Floaters!! Man, where am I? I asked myself. When I asked my friend, I found out that the dress code policy has been revoked. I think my Accenture mail box was full because of which this “Very Important” mail had bounced and fallen out of the box. I cursed at myself for having come in Formals which made me look like a alien coming from some unknown planet. Slowly I started feeling the over dosage of surprises. The stone-age old systems were replaced by brand new ones. LCD monitors, ultra speed internet a refreshing-new-look cafeteria with multiple caterers offering mouth watering food and beverages, the reconstructed Rec-room with brand new games, sprawling Gym, phew!!!! I started feeling giddy with host of changes around me. I could take it no more. I badly wanted to share these things with my friend working in a Product development company who I hated because of his never ending –my-company-your-company comparisons. Suddenly I felt a great urge to talk to him. But the fact that I don’t have his number made me to think alternative ways to reach to him. The bulb switched on inside my brain and I thought of chatting with him thru Gtalk since all the restrictions were removed for surfing the net. Excitingly I typed – www.gmail.com on the IE address bar. As I hit the Enter button on my keypad suddenly high beeping voice started coming from nowhere. It was so annoying. I was afraid for a moment thinking that it all started because of me trying to open gmail. I tried my level best to stop this irritating noise. Just then I realized that someone kicked me hardly and at the same time the noise also stopped. It didn’t take me another minute to think that it was BAU. My bro- a die hard Akshay kumar fan, had in his BAU move kicked me and stopped the alarm simultaneously. I Had to rush to bath room to switch on geyser for hot water, press the clothes, get ready hurriedly. No matter how much I try, I will never be able to catch the shuttle in the stop and had to call up my friend to stop it wherever it was at that moment. As I ran to the spot I found out the same old bone breaking vehicle and I’ve-never-smiled-in-my-life driver cursing at me. The bumpy ride made me hold all possible supports available so that I can sit safely at my seat till I reached the office. When I got down, I thanked god for making me reach safely. I deposited my Pod at the reception, smiled at the friendly security guards, exchanged a few words with them and reached the bay door. But before I could swipe the access card, I found something strange at the door. What is it? I kept thinking. Ah got it, there was this notice sticked on the glass door. As I read it, my jaws dropped, heart started working so fast as if Bollywood star Katrina Kaif’s Wallpaper is sticked there. The Notice read “Effective July 1st, Camera Phones are not allowed inside Kitty Hawk bays”. I prayed to god asking him to make this one also a dream. But no, I had to accept the reality when I pinched myself and found out that I’m very much awake.

Moral of the story – don’t dream on Monday Morning.

No comments: